View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #608
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
More appropriate than the Mustang II

I'll say it again: A new 2.3-2.5 DI turbo in the Camaro could easily make more power than the current v6 with a broader torque curve. In a lighter chassis a 330-340hp I4 with a twin-scroll turbo making peak torque before 3,000rpm would be one fun little pup, would romp all over the v6 and would respond much better to modification. How that is a negative to some is beyond me; as if the sound of a v6 is some glorious song to be cherished and protected. Take your car to the local road course and see what some of the I4/H4 cars can do. You will be surprised.
You are being optimistic with 330-340hp, and on your displacement estimate. If it happens, it will most likely be a 2.0L in the 270 range or so, because the whole point of having this engine will be fuel economy, and a larger displacement, highly tuned version would defeat that purpose.

And yes, as others have said, an Evo and Subaru WRX are fast at the track...but those are $30-$40K cars. They are not comparable to a base Camaro, but to the Camaro SS, (both on price and fuel efficiency). If those engines really were that great, they wouldn't have to be in significantly smaller, lighter cars with significantly more dollars spent on the chassis, just to break even with the Camaro performance wise.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote