View Single Post
Old 11-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #49
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Based on the fact the ZL1 ring time was only 2.59 quicker and had 124 more horsepower and 221 more lb-ft TQ, I wouldn't be so sure. I don't think they will be able to reduce the weight nor increase the handling "that" much more to negate the need for a decent HP advantage.

What also surprises me is how much faster the GS Vette is than the 1LE on the C&D lightening lap...similar power, only around 300lb difference, but 7 seconds faster. There is definitely a price to be paid for having a back seat.
There is no verified 'ring time for the GT350R. So it is not 'fact' that its 2.59 seconds quicker than the ZL1. Could it be faster? Sure. Could it not be? Sure. But either way, the Nurburgring is a handling circuit first and foremost. Yes, there is that massive back straight but the track rewards handling much more than power/acceleration.

As for improving the handling of the Camaro ... why can't it be better? There is nothing 'special' about the GT350 that gives it any sort of inherent & insurmountable handling advantage over the Camaro. It wights 3700 lbs with a 54/46 weight distribution. Ford gave it big fat sticky tires over light weight wheels, a track tuned suspension, and some aero bits. Nothing in there that GM can't do just as well or better with a Z/28.

And if you think the only difference between a Grand Sport and a 1LE is 300 lbs of weight, you are sorely mistaken.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote