View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
I have used accusumps on my drag race engines for 20 years and have never had an oil leak or a failure. The fact they stay pressurized when the engine is shutdown is a good thing. If you install the accusump with a solenoid valve wired to an ignition on power source the accusump will discharge it's stored oil into the engine when you turn on the key. This prelubes the engine prior to start.
The accusumps I have used float on the engine oil pressure, so as engine oil pressure drops the accusump will start to discharge oil into the system and will then recharge when oil pressure recovers. This gives additional pressurized oil volume, I use a three quart unit, in your oil system to protect the bearings if you momentarily starve the oil pump.
I have a three quart accusump with a solenoid valve controlled by a pressure switch set at 20 psi to install in my Camaro. The only place I have found where it will fit is on the top of the crossmember between the radiator and the front of the engine. This requires I fabricate a couple of custom brackets.

X25 - Did you have to lift the engine to remove the oil pan to install the Improved Racing Baffle in the pan?
You need to lift the engine, but you don't need to disconnect or remove driveline. You can use an engine support bar for this purpose, something like this:

The actually need to be in between the strut top and the fender to avoid snapping on you during the lift.

Another way is to cut the cross-member bar under the engine oil pan. I actually bought flanges to weld into place, but ended up not using them since raising the engine to do the change is simple enough (but still makes you very nervous in the process).
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote