View Single Post
Old 01-18-2024, 08:17 PM   #1561
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Not just extreme cold, or flooded out...I mean in general it just seems like a normal occurrence that random plug in stalls just don't work. Even if you look ahead on the apps or whatever, it may or may not show how many chargers are working and how many are not. Why would some of them not work?

It's not just a cold weather effect, it almost always mentioned anytime someone plans a trip, shows up, good weather or bad, and they can't charge because the plug-in simply is not working for reasons I have yet to hear explained.....lol
There is a lot to unpack on this topic. There are (3) charging protocols in use in the US, CCS Combo, North American Standard (NACS) and CHAdeMO. Tesla uses NACS in the US, Canada, an Mexico. They use CCS Combo everywhere else.

Most EVs sold in the US that are notTesla use CCS Combo. Aside from the recent problems in Chicago, pretty much all the problems with poorly functioning chargers are CCS Combo. Most people who are tracking this consider the problem to not be the technology, but the charge point operators (CPO). The biggest CPOs are ElectrifyAmerica (VW’s mega culpa for Diesel Gate), ChargePoint, and EVGo. A lot of the problem that EV drivers experience comes from the fact that every one of these providers have a different way of interacting with the driver and requesting payment. When I rented a Tesla in Atlanta and tried to charge it at an EVGo station, I spent about 10 minutes on the phone trying to get them to authorize payment so that I could start charging. Their stations don’t have a credit card tap or swipe reader. I don’t understand that at all. They all make you subscribe to their network online and use their tap card. Then there are different levels of diligence in maintaining the equipment and the cleanliness of the chargin sites.

Tesla is a much better integrated system. Since your phone is your key and since all your car’s information as well as your payment information is on your phone all you have t do is pull up to a Tesla charger and plug in. It knows which car is charging where, at what speed and how much energy is delivered and bills you seamlessly. Your car can communicate with nearby stations and inform you where they are, what the rated power is, how many stalls they have and how many stalls are available. In the rare instance that a Tesla stall is not functioning it lets you know that too. It tells you what your state of charge will be when you arrive and how long it will take to get you to your desired state of charge.

So now in 2025 pretty much every major manufacturer of EVs in the US is switching to Tesla’s NACS protocol and will be able to take advantage of the same level of integration.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote