View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #17
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Here's my opinion, FWIW

It's no secret that one of GM's main objectives was to make the chassis of the new Camaro stiffer, and they succeeded. I don't have the percentages, but all you need to do is drive a fifth gen and a sixth gen and you know the sixth gen is stiffer. That being said, the factory and the aftermarket offer strut tower braces. We look at it two ways. There is the performance side. While the car is definitely stiffer, you can always make it stifferer (lol). A strut tower brace (factory or aftermarket) is going to stiffen whatever it is connected to and the supporting system. The question becomes at what point is it noticeable and beneficial? In our opinion, unless you have race tire, race brakes, and intestinal fortitude to push the car to THE CAR'S limit (much different than the driver's limit) a strut tower can be beneficial. This "benefit" is decided by the driver, what he/she feels, and what they are looking for in how the car performance. That being said, this is a very small percentage of people who fit into this category. This brings us to the other side of the conversation.

Aesthetics. When you open the hood, you want to be greeted by whats as awesome on the outside. A strut tower brace is a great way to add an inexpensive, racy looking part under the hood. The installation is simple, and everyone sees it when you open the hood. Everyone wants to mod their car, even if its something simple. A strut tower bar is a great way to personalize your car.

If you're looking for a mod that makes a performance difference, a strut tower bar is not necessarily where I would start. There are a bunch of other parts that will make a more significant change.

Just my thoughts on the topic....

Pete