View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
This is speculation, disguised as fact. Nobody at GM knows what those engines will put out yet. Sure, they've got a rough estimate but those cars are 3 years away. The Camaro SS didn't get its final hp, torque, and fuel economy numbers until a few months before it went into full production (initial numbers were announced in August 2008, final numbers were in January 2009)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
Ah you beat me to it. This seems unlikely to me though. The rumor is that the 2012 V6 is going to push near 330hp...seems hard to believe that they would put out a car in 2016 with the same amount, although the car will be lighter which will mean increased performance. I expected a V6 in the high 300s.

They also have the mpg rating for the V6 at 20/30...that won't be high enough for CAFE standards. Pretty sure it has to be 35mpg by then.
CAFE is an average, not a mandatory number for every single car. That said, don't expect power numbers to keep climbing. Odds are, manufacturers in the not-so-distant future will setup their engines more for fuel economy instead of powe, so a naturally aspiriated V6 probably won't be cranking hp in the high 300 range any time soon, at least in large volume sedans. Low volume sports cars, like the Nissan 370Z (or perhaps 380Z by then?) sure. That doesn't mean they'll become aenemic, but be prepared to see a lot more 280 hp 3.4L V6's than 380 hp 3.7's.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote