View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 01:51 AM   #25
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
I appreciate all the input, but for those who dismiss the Audi because it makes less tq and weighs considerably more than the Camaro, all I can say is look at the test data. Physics aside, the Audi somehow manages a 0-60 time of 3.9 to 4.5 seconds depending on which test you read, and a 1/4 mile time of mid 12s with comparable trap speeds to the Camaro.

What I'm hoping for is some insight from those who drag race their auto trans SS on a regular basis and might have some tips on how to get the best run out of my SS. Do you suggest dropping the rear tire pressure? Do you use launch control? If not do you just launch from idle? Turn off traction control or leave it on? Track mode, or touring mode for better weight transfer? Any constructive tips are appreciated. I can certainly figure out all those variables for myself, but I'd like the benefit of others experience to save myself a hundred experimental runs and a set of tires! 😉
Typically, the german cars are getting WHP at or very near the advertised crank HP, in fact, they don't make any SAE claims usually or otherwise, because when you put one on a dyno, it usually makes close to the advertised, which means at the crank it's making more. A 365hp M2 is probably closer to 400, a 444 M3 is probably close to 500, then give it AWD and it's going to walk away every time. If all you care about is straight-line, you either go huge supercharged V8 with massive HP and big sticky tires in traditional drag-form, or you go turbo/SC AWD. With the AWD car, you typically don't have to beat the other guy at 150mph, just got to beat them to the 1/4 mile or 60, so a camaro, which is now a much better balanced and handling car, isn't the best weapon for this. Get a hellcat/demon or one of those massive HP german AMG things.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote