View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
Okay, I get that a frame can be made lighter with better materials and better engineering, but I don't get the part about the alpha platform being smaller.

What I mean is, if the alpha platform is smaller, it means that there is less cabin room and trunk space too right? Is that the problem with the Zeta?

The reason I'm confused is that I don't think the Camaro is that big in the cabin in the first place. Unlike the Challenger, it can't sit 5. It can barely sit 4, so doesn't it mean that moving to the alpha platform will mean even less cabin space?

Also another thing I'm confused with is: will the alpha platform enable better outward visibility without changing its looks? I mean: if the 5th gen Camaro were to have come out on the alpha platform, would it have looked basically the same but with more outward visibility? Maybe it's a silly question, but one person made the comment was that the alpha platform was such a huge improvement over the zeta platform, and I'm wondering what exactly might that mean.

To summarize:
1) I get it's smaller and lighter. Question: is that all the benefit? Will it mean less cabin space? If not, how can it have the same cabin space?

2) will outward visibility improve, or has that got nothing to do with the platform?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
That's the part I don't get. I think of "platform" as some sort of frame design and layout for the drive train. It determines the length, width and wheelbase of the car.

That's why I'm confused how a platform can be smaller and yet the size remain the same?
A platform isn't a chassis that you bolt everything else onto. In fact, if you look at the structure of a G8 and a Camaro, they look nothing alike. Yet they're both on the same platform.

The term 'platform' refers to the basic organization of a vehicle and its approximate limitations. Its a set of variables that can be tweaked, but not changed dramatically. Each one has a certain range. A platform can have a wheelbase between A and B, overall length of C-D, width between E and F, height of G-H, engine torque of I, suspension setup J, drive configuration K, etc.

Currently, the Camaro is technically classed as a compact car while its based off of a full size sedan. The same is true of the Challenger. These cars are at the bottom end of the size limits for their respective platforms. If the Camaro were to switch to a smaller platform yet were moved towards the larger end of it it could remain about the same size as it is today, maybe a little smaller. But certain structural design elements could be removed because they aren't needed for the smaller platform, thus saving weight.

And if it does shrink, some of that reduction will be felt inside, but you can lose width and it won't matter much in a 2+2. A shorter wheelbase might bring the rear wheels closer to the back seat (vs bringing the rear seat closer to the front) and therefore have minimal intrusion on interior space. Height ... I don't think it will get any lower than it is now so thats not an issue.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote