View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Your initial comment spoke directly to loss of performance, due to the design keeping with the concept. You're talking about cosmetic things.

I'll give you the hips are wide, but the paint sucks on every part of the car, not just the hips. Once upon a time, cars and trucks had painted metal right on flat forward facing areas on the nose, and the paint didn't chip off like it does now. The paint sucks. It does not adhere well due to it being illegal to use petroleum based paints, and it's too thin in an effort to save weight due to CAFE regs.

I don't have a problem with the rims, which pretty much were expected. If the car had 18's or something no matter what style it had the wheels would have been ridiculed.

The interior so peripherally pays homage to the concept that anything wrong with it would have been addressed. In the case of poor visibility we know of ONE area where doing it DIFFERENT than the concept made the car WORSE. The concept had no B pillars. Had they done that the visibility would jave been better AND the care would look even more like the beloved concept.

Also, the "new" steering wheel sucks compared to the 2010 wheel. Should have stayed with that design.

I swear....I love talking to you, but sometimes it's like you only read the first and last lines of my posts....

Yes, an earlier statement referred to performance, specifically...but the sentence you quoted was in general about doing things "right" in all things, versus yielding to the publics expectations. One could make the argument that the car was and continues to be a success, so by any measure they did things right...but that's for another thread, I think.

The heavy wheels are unsprung weight, also contributing to overall mass. The wide-body contributed to mass....The car is not a bad performer, as I've always maintained, but it could have been better were it not for the concept's rule over all things.

General commentary has indicated that people believe the CAMARO's paint sucks, on its own merit. That was the complaint I spoke to, which is a false perception due to what you stated...all cars use similar, water-based paint today, and the other vehicles within Oshawa use the very same paint! That is the primary reason why it chips. The other large reason is the car's design, a chiseled-flat front end and protruding rear fenders, derived directly from the concept. Those features contribute to the higher-than-average accumulation of paint-chips versus other cars. But not for the design...the paint would be of average/good quality among GM cars.

The comparably very wide rims on the 2010-12 SS were a direct result of the concept. So were the enormous wheel-wells to accommodate them. They effect performance negatively, as evidenced by people's desire to replace them with lighter pieces...even GM's own work on the ZL1 addressed that. I like them - but they're not optimal, because they were drawn straight from the concept.

Put the two interiors side-by-side...I challenge you to seriously contend that the production interior is only "peripherally" inspired. All the features that were ridiculed as "bulbous, cartoony, ugly, weird" when it first came out, such as the gauge bezels, and HVAC knobs, were direct adaptations from features in the concept interior.

The new steering wheel changes the "feel" of the car's responsiveness significantly for the better. Your comment lends credence to my statements: You say is sucks, I assume because it looks like a generic Chevrolet wheel. (Correct me if I'm wrong) Yet, the performance attributes of the original wheel were inferior to this new wheel that "sucks", and that's why it was swapped in 2012, even though the original looked better. The 2010/11 wheel was inferior, because it was pulled expressly from the concept for the sake of staying true to the deep-dish wheel design that everyone loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It is my hope and prayer that GM continues this genius moving forward. I am confident that GM will do it.
So am I.

Let's not all forget the "12 disciples of which there are 15"...if Camaro Team does something....iffy. These folks will let them know.