View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #51

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
I think you're selling the V8 short. Sure, its not as common as it was 30 or 40 years ago, but it still has a niche that is bigger than most give it credit for. That it has lasted longer than anyone expected supports the notion that the demand is stronger than "anyone" thinks. Remember how much GM underestimated V8 demand just 4 years ago when the 5th gens went into production?

Again, you are not giving the V8 enough credit. You are making the small block V8 sound as if it is some kind of exotic specialty engine, when in fact, it is very much mainstream. Because of the huge number of truck sales, the small block V8 is one of the higher volume engine families GM sells, not one of the lower. If you want to see which engine sells in the lowest volume at GM, look at the TTV6.
Oh, for sure they are great motors and have a demand to fill....Don't know all the particulars, but the LT-1s will all have AFM engineered into them...
If they didn't have to dance around all the regs and bs, the V-8 would live forever and never be out of style....but it's still not getting promoted as being "efficient" or desirable for better mpg....

The trucks may get a pass for the needed power with a V-8, as the profit margin for light trucks I believe is significantly higher than passenger cars...Other than the Vette, isn't the Camaro the only GM passenger car that comes with a V-8?...and even so, over half Camaro sales are V-6...

Sure they will always have a niche, and will be built for that...crate motors, warranty replacements, maintenance replacements, etc...but demand won't have V-8s showing up in Cruzes,Malibus or Impalas.....

All the pressures...CAFE, weight, even "perception" as a guzzler, will eventually be the demise of passenger car V-8s...
As I believe what you say, that V-6 turbos may not be as efficient in the real world of driving, but if it gets a higher number for mpg ratings on the rollers for the window sticker, they will get the nod for production...

...Not a perfect world, and not how I'd like to see things go, but I think the writing is on the wall....I always suggest to everyone, enjoy these V-8s for as long as you can while they are plentiful and relatively affordable.

I recall the GM engineers stating they would prefer to put a TTV6 into the Vettes....but it won't fly with the Vette buyers as long as a V-8 is available...How much longer that will be the case, is anybody's guess, especially given they would even consider doing it.....

Last edited by 90503; 05-07-2013 at 03:10 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote