View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #306
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Technically, heat extraction is better served with the opening further forward from the base of the windshield than you might think. What you want for heat extraction is the vent opening to be in an area of low pressure. Base of windshield is high pressure, exactly what you DON'T want and why it's a good place for things like HVAC fresh air intake (and cowl induction on carbureted cars). Somewhere ahead of that you have a negative pressure region.

Which sort of brings me back to the topic of whether I'd use ZL1 parts on a non-ZL1 Camaro.

If I was after the same functional reason as GM had for their existence in the first place, absolutely. I'd have the benefit of OE engineering and durability testing and a pretty good guarantee of fit.

I would absolutely not do it for appearance.

Norm
I do agree with the high pressure region at the base of the windshield, but with the scoop too forward like the ZL1's, you are really doing a lot more for smooth flow path to reduce the pressure under the hood for aerodynamic down force purposes and heat extraction is secondary. The water tray on the ZL1 effectively reduce most of the heat extraction capability anyway. If someone provide a CAD file, I might run my own CFD runs just for fun...

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels