View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #74
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Actually, it is kind of simple. I don't think anyone can really disagree with what you said there. Except that we aren't (or well, speaking for myself here) looking for some mythical thing.

What I'm looking for a is a combination of things:

1) 340ish HP V6 with a bit more torque than the current LFX...not much, but naturally if the HP rises by 15 or so, then surely we can expect a bit more torque hopefully.

2) Lighter weight. We already know by looking at the ATs that we should be able to see around 300 lbs lost.

3) 8 speed transmission in the auto.

I don't see any reason whatsoever they couldn't get a 3.6 or 3.7 V6 to make those kind of power numbers...its possible without really even being much of a stretch.

With the lighter weight and gearing, I don't see why at least 32 - 34 MPG highway wouldn't be possible.

So I think what I'm asking for is pretty realistic. Not asking for what your mentioning above. What your mentioning above is not much different than the SS owners asking for the next V8 in the Camaro to have 500 horsepower. Thats just silly talk right there.
I'm with you on the HP. Getting to 340 with a bump in torque is possible with continued refinement. But the LFX already was a nice refinement. So you could go to 3.7 or 3.8 and manage 340.

The only problem I have is getting MORE HP and MORE torque and also getting MORE MPG. Gearing with an 8 speed will get about 1 MPG according to something I read. It isn't a giant number. So that 1 MPG would only offset the added HP and Torque. So you are back to 30. As I said before, 50% of your highway number is aero. Mass is a portion for sure, but not as big as aero.

Now if you want the package, you only have to look at the Audi S4 I'm driving now. (long story but the ATS just didn't cut it and Audi fits golf clubs in the trunk far better than the gymnastics required to get two sets in the Cadillac). The S4 weighs about what a Camaro V6 weighs. But the wonderfullness is the 3.0 L supercharged V6. It makes 333 HP but the big fun comes from the 325 lbft of torque. It pulls like no other V6 car I've driven and will do a sub 5 second 0-60. The drivability is incredible and in sport mode with the DCT it is pretty much awesome. It's rated at 28 EPA, the same as the ATS.

So a lighter Camaro and more torque would be great for sure. Just not sure if you can have that AND better FE.

The lighter ATS with the Camaro V6 is only rated at 28. So the lighter ATS will not automatically reasult in better FE.