View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #246
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
"A lightly boosted V6 will run circles around a lightly boosted I-4, so the I-4 will need more radical components to handle higher boost just to keep up with the V6. That means for the same level of performance you will shell out more money for the I-4, and have less headroom to tune it because it will already be pushed closer to the limit just to feel like a mildly boosted V6."

Sounds like you were speaking in general. You didn't state anything regarding make/model/type. I speak from what I know- turbocharged I-4s beating the crap out of V-6 and V-8s with FI. Look for the FACTS all around you.
He clarified that he was talking about the engines being in the SAME car (Post #231). For example, if I lightly boosted a 2011 Camaro SS and you lightly boosted a 2011 Camaro LS, the Camaro SS would be faster. Of course you could increase your boost and might be able to put out more power than me, but my motor would be more reliable. But then I could also increase my boost and I would once again be faster and we both would have engines that aren't going to have very long lives.