View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #60
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just some thoughts.

It looks like you badly want the Camaro to be a Corvette. No room for much if any rear seat in what you have there. Not that the Camaro has much of a rear seat today, but there is some and there is some headroom. I remember the old Geo Storm that I had. I only had head room if the rear hatch was open.

Get rid of the touch pad for door unlatching. It's expensive and they frankly suck. I worked on it on the XLR and C6. The back up mechanical system required isn't worth it. Plus it's a Corvette/Cadillac design element. Put a door handle on it and you'll be better off.

Your front door cut line probably won't swing unless you put a goose neck hinge on it. Wouldn't recommend that, but it's been done.

Also the front fender feature is very close to the wheel opening. It might not be formable in steel or aluminum. Plastic has drawbacks (refer to earlier Camaros).

You likely don't have enough front fender to clear normal wheel articulations. This would restrict tire travel and hurt ride a lot.

Your current b-pillar configuration will have a tough time passing current MVSS 216. That is why the current Camaro has a massive b-pillar.

You are also carrying over one of the things I like least in the Camaro and that is the big plane rear quarter panel. You have a nice feature through the front fender and it just dies in the door.

The effort is certainly nice, but you are going away from the Pony car formula and making the car just another sports car.

I like the overall side view profile very much, it's just too sports car for me to like it as a Camaro.

Like I've said, takes courage to put stuff out there like you are doing. Keep going and don't be discouraged. But hopefully you are putting out there to foster discussion not just have a bunch of us line up to say how awesome it is. You have to remember that in most clinics not everyone likes even the greatest designs. And if you talk to the folks in the Design Studio, they would like to just keep going and refine the design forever. But at some point you have to go into production so they have to stop. In all my experience the designers have never said, "that's it. It's perfect. I'm done!".
Now this is EXACTLY the kind of information/post/feedback I need!!! THANK YOU! I've actually taken a screenshot of that and I'll use that info to guide future revisions.

It's not that I want the Camaro to become a Corvette, it's just that the new Stingray has clearly struck a chord with the customer base and I've been more or less trying to move in that direction. And I am in fact putting these versions "out there" to not only foster discussion, but provide a means for Camaro fans to put in their suggestions (which some are doing!) to hopefully get a better idea of what the community would like to see.

The idea of going away from a pony car and towards a sports car is one I've mulled over quite a bit. From everything I see on the forum it seems a lot of customers focus on the performance which to me, indicates a desire for more of a sports car. With the new Z/28 I wonder...could the Camaro evolve into more of a sports car? I don't know but I would definitely be interested to find out what the fan base thinks of that. And for some reason I'm finding it much easier to design sports car concepts than a pony car concept.

I laughed when I read your comment about the folks in the Design Studio. I can easily imagine that kind of mentality where you never stop seeing things you want to change lol! I have to constantly stop myself from going back to versions I know would never be used, and changing things anyways because I saw something I'd like to do differently now.

After the crapstorm reaction to the back of the 2014 refresh, I wanted to start a positive feedback process instead of just condemn/complain. I really hope these threads provide a safe venue for the fan base to put in their feedback so the guys in Design can get their finger on the pulse of what fans want without having to risk their own designs in here or wasting their time responding to useless criticism. And who knows...I may just happen to stumble upon a look that actually works. Your feedback is going to be immensely valuable in helping me shape the next revision.

Thank you very much!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote