View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Well thought out, well said..."but" I think we would be better served if all you mentioned were available off of an option list that you choose when you order the car from the factory...Factory installed options, instead of dealer, or dealer installed options would really be awesome...

It would be awesome to be able to pick, choose, mix/match options to one's own preference...Doesn't seem to be feasible for manufacturing these days, unfortunately...Just sayin, if they won't do it on the assembly line, probably won't be available through a dealer, either...
I would like to see these marketed as dealer-installed accessories for 3 good reasons: financing, manufacturing, and the law. Not everyone can finance these additions. For those buyers, many of whom get the itch to do this after having the car for a little bit, being able to upgrade later lets the car feel new and fresh again. It is common for car enthusiasts to start with a great vehicle and want to modify it later. Who is better to help than the people who made the car? Your parts dealer could be the first place you go to modify your car since you can trust GM quality. This is a great opportunity for GMPP.

The other reason is manufacturing. It is very expensive to make cars, and more options make it even more expensive. Adding options increases the base price, and that is something GM cannot afford to do. The car is already so technologically superior to the Mustang that there's significantly less profit in it. Adding more options will cause people who don't want them to potentially buy something else. It doesn't make sense to drive up the cost for an optional supercharger. That brings me to the third reason, the law. Modifying the car would require new emissions testing, and all of that testing could hurt GM's CAFE standing. That's a problem for a manufacturer looking to improve its average fuel economy. As aftermarket options, this doesn't matter. Customers don't have to pay a gas guzzler tax, and people can buy reliable parts at the parts counter. This is definitely the right way to do it.

I think it is imperative to know that I normally wouldn't want to rebut you so bluntly, but I want to make clear to anyone at GM who may be reading this that I've thought this through. This is the right way to do it. They just need to make it happen.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote