View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #62
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
1.) Make it a touch smaller and 300-400 lbs lighter. Get it to 4th gen weight dry. Yes, it can be done. These cars aren't just heavy, they're big. A couple inches shorter and an inch narrower goes a long way.
A 10% (~375 lb) haircut would indeed be awesome. I just don't see it happening though. My gut feeling tells me that we're looking at 5% at most... and when I'm really pessimistic, I figure we'll be lucky if it doesn't gain weight.

AFAIK, the weight numbers on the new Mustang still aren't out yet, but hope for significant weight loss pretty much seem to have evaporated among the Mustang faithful.

I'm not going to go so far as to say that weight loss isn't a priority for the powers that be (I'm sure it is a priority to some extent), but it seems like a lower priority than some other things, specifically adding a lot of new standard equipment and keeping prices affordable. And I guess I can understand that. A lot of buyers aren't really paying any attention to weight. They're looking at styling, price, equipment, fuel economy (sometimes). Of course, weight is actually related in various ways to all of those, but it doesn't really really sell cars.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote