View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #101
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Wow, there is quite the drama in this thread! I have been participating in message boards for many years and on many different forums, and on every site there are a few individuals who want to proclaim themselves the “defenders of the faith”, with the “faith” being whatever vehicle/manufacturer that those individuals are passionate about. In my experience, these modern-day crusaders feel it is their solemn duty to ensure that they take every available opportunity to stand up their favorite brand and disparage any other make model that it might compete with.

When information is disseminated that does not fit the narrative they are looking to convey, they seek to create doubt by making assertions to the contrary, many times embellishing their commentary with raw conjecture or putting forth a straw-man argument that supports their viewpoint. If information is reported that is favorable to their particular brand/model, they also take every available opportunity to ensure whatever brand/make/model is aware of those positive comments in a manner that is not intended to celebrate the vehicle in question for its accomplishments, but to use that data to put whatever vehicle they feel is competition at that time in a bad light.

I don’t know who LOWDOWN is in real life, but I am positive he/she is not thePill. That being said, it does not take a psychology expert to understand what is going on with him/her. LOWDOWN, in my unprofessional opinion, is one of those people who just cannot stand the fact that the Camaro was a response to a certain other model, and that in the minds of America (and might argue the world) it will always be that “other” ponycar. In his mind, it is ludicrous that despite the Camaro’s better performance several times throughout its production history versus its direct competitor, the other car still gets first billing when it comes to cars that have changed the marketplace or hold a significant place in pop culture history.

Therefore, LOWDOWN’s posts and general commentary are a one-man effort to try and change that by whatever means he/she feels will best accomplish the goal of reducing the other cars historical hold on the hearts and minds of motorsports enthusiasts.

At the end of the day, absolutely nothing LOWDOWN rants on about is going to have any effect on whether or not someone buys a Mustang or any other Ford vehicle. Accusing one manufacturer of “cooking the books” to gain a competitive marketing advantage while suggesting that their own favorite brand is somehow above doing the same thing either makes that person naďve or simply a hypocrite. The automotive industry is a cut-throat business. Always has been, likely always will be.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote