View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I don't know enough about these cars to comment accurately, but for our cars there are High and Low octane maps BUT without tuning the car only runs in the Low octane map. BUT (again) if you run higher octane it does produce more mid-range power because it can run more degrees of timing. The engine adds degrees until it detects knock, plus the direct injection helps with cooling significantly, but to say there's no difference from a physics standpoint considering they're 11.5:1 compression is frankly wrong. Part of it is probably the slick 8 speed auto that most of you probably have too. When you can work the engine so much more efficiently I'm not surprised if you can't tell a difference. But it's been an argument since the beginning of time - whether or not you can feel a difference does not mean the engine does not run differently. The car is rated for 335hp which means it must make 335hp at maximum and that won't change, but it does run better on 93. It becomes obvious when you're on the stock tune as you mod more and you try to run 87 vs 93. Plenty of guys on C5 have documented benefits with 93. Plenty of guys (usually without evidence) also knock what is stated.

Ultimately, it's your car and no one else can tell you what to do with it. It doesn't hurt the car to run 87, and for most people, that's good enough and it's cheaper. Probably the smarter option, realistically, especially for a stock vehicle with no intention to mod.

Dyno for reference. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=118
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote