View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
That was a nicer way of my saying "Don't bullshit the guy moving to the States". Because it really is...just bullshit. I'll explain:

1) "Roads are turning into shit everywhere". No not really. In the USA each state- and even town or city- has their hand in this, in addition to 'Federally' funded roadways. I'll give you an example: In a town near me you can see were the town line is plainly. There's a road that goes through both towns. In one town, the road is perfect. As soon as the road goes to the next town, the very same road is crap. One town paid to fix their part of the road; the other didn't. There is literally a line cross the road where the new gorgeous pavement ends. Another example: I drive to New Hampshire- all the roads I drive on are in great shape. I'm sure there are crummy ones there, I just don't ever see them.

2) Our Government gives all our money that we citizens are taxed for on gas etc. for keeping the roads nice and giving it to other countries. I fully agree that the gas tax money is mis-appropriated. But to suggest there is simply a "USA gas tax" is wrong. "Mis-appropriated" doesn't mean "sent to other countries". The States and even local communities have a say too. I picked Illinois as an example, click this link: http://www.illinoisgasprices.com/USA_Tax_Map.aspx . It's not true that The Federal Gov and the State Govs bundle up the gas tax dough and ship it off to foreign lands. That's just talk from a guy who is fed up with our problems. Look at California for example. CA is well known to have money problems. 71.29 cents tax per gallon?! Doesn't seem likely that CA's share of that money will go overseas. They probably want it to balance their checkbook. CA residents should be pissed off.

3) Bridges we have to travel on are on your own risk, They can collapse anytime. Saying that highway infrastructure in say, Nevada is in the same condition as for example Connecticut, is simply outrageous. Firstly, not all bridges are the same age and not all of them are rated for the same weight and not all bridges see the same volume of traffic. Secondly, there is nothing like "travel at your own risk", which is the text from warning signs by the side of the road, that has been instituted on a Federal level. It is simply hogwash. I cannot say that all bridges are in great shape, our highway infrastructure is at the age of needing repair. Roadwork is constantly being done in my state to repair bridges. It takes too long- hell we crossed the Rhine with no problems, right? but it's being done. The statement made is an overstatement.

4) pot holes are huge , and no plans to fix any of it. More hyperbolic frustration. Some potholes are a half inch deep. Some are a foot. This statement makes it sound like roads 'in the USA' are a lunar landscape. It ain't so. Each town and State does things their own way, and Uncle Sam does things his way. There's plenty of "plans to fix it". In fact we see this routinely- a State paves a road. Beautifully, too. Then next year it gets dug up to install new water mains. The road gets patched. Then in two more years a homeowner gets a sewer hookup and it gets dug up, again. The road gets patched again. While we might like the State to come back in and re-pave it so its beautiful again, it's not a reasonable expectation. Go over the George Washington Bridge in New York (actually, don't). Then go over the Zakim Bridge in Boston. Different experiences.

5) because our Government representatives are too busy feuding about stuff we Americans dont care about.
While I'd say that's a generally accurate thing, it suggests that "roads suck" because of Washington D.C.. Let me tell you, President Obama has nothing to do with debate concerning a high-traffic bridge that gets too much load placed on it in Readville Massachusetts.

Oh Please , I wont even breakdown your breakdown on my 15 second opinion. Everyone knows the infrastructure has been in decay for decades now , And there is no plan to fix them currently . And i am not blaming President Obama solely , It takes 2 to tangle and boy do they tangle ,to a stalemate ,nuf said
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote