View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 12:27 AM   #42
JeffInDFW
Camaro owner for 29 years

Drives: 96 Viper GTS/09 Sky Redline/95 Z28
NOW, the exciting times begin.

The 5th generation Camaro is a real tribute to the talent of GMs chassis engineers. The platform was too large and too heavy for a "Pony Car", but somebody at GM with enough pull kept the bean counters off the chassis engineers back long enough to let them do their magic. End result was an incredibly successfully selling generation of sport coupes. The 1LE. The ZL1. The Z/28. Incredible.

But just think.......This time, those same incredibly talented chassis engineers are not having to start with a platform that is too large, and too heavy. Quite the opposite. This time, they get to start with the incredible Alpha platform. I've spent a lot of time learning about Alpha. The effort GM put into the tiny details on that platform are enough to make a real car guy cry for joy. Go drive a Cadillac ATS. The magic that used to belong to BMW alone no longer lives at BMW. The 3 series is now a former shadow of itself. That "magic" is alive and well in the new ATS Caddy. You have to feel it to understand. And that "magic" will be the starting point for the all new 6th generation Camaro. I am very excited.

Talking V8 Camaros since that is all I will ever consider:
We will likely see a LT1 and a LT4. Here is what I would like to see:
LT1 done like todays 1LE. Low cost/high value track package.
LT7 done like todays LS7. 427cid high revving slice of heaven, but this time without dropping valves. For Z/28.
I've read the stories and know it is unlikely we will see a LS7, so.....
LT2 with AFM removed so we can use a hotter cam and rev higher as well as loose weight. Over 520hp to compete with GT350.
LS4 for the ZL1.

Ford already has the GT350 out. If GM makes us wait for multiple model years before releasing "the good stuff", I'll be checking out that flat plane V8 in the GT350.

Last edited by JeffInDFW; 03-16-2015 at 12:52 AM.
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote