View Single Post
Old 01-03-2024, 09:48 PM   #7
void_kp

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
What valves did you get? I hope not the stainless option - that's going to be a heavy valve with a fairly modest spring.
unfortunately that's exactly what I did The MAST head had options for dual valve spring and titanium retainer, but not titanium valves.
the titanium valves were waaaaaay too expensive. Also, consider that the TSP kit came from an "insider" and they ok perfectly ok (from a reliability perspective too) to install it on standard heads+valves+valvesprings.

Quote:
The cam is a really interesting grind - it's got a pretty early IVC and late EVO, which is going to keep it from wanting to do big rpm in a 427, but it has ridiculous amounts of overlap (34.5*) that's going to make a pretty focused powerband in the 5800-7000 range.
This is correct. This is a cam meant to provide power on the stock engine top and bottom end (not increasing rpm) and to maximize the "choppy sound" at low end (hence the humongous overlap).

Quote:
Reading the advertisement, the marketing matches - it seems primarily focused on sounding super aggressive. No doubt it will achieve that with the overlap, but it's gonna drive very aggressive in a manual car. I would not expect to enjoy just cruising around under 2600rpm anywhere.
again, that is correct. It is expected to be bad drivability up to ~3000rpm. However I only use the car on the track and potentially to drive to/from the track (until I get a trailer and something to trail the heavy z28).

Quote:
I'm curious about your valve angle comment. Both the heads your bought and the factory LS7 cylinder head utilize a 12* valve angle, so not sure what you're seeing as different there.

It'll be an interesting combination - let us know how it turns out!
interesting, for some reason I cached that the stock valve angle was 14degrees. was I wrong?

Status update:
1/ I've inspected the heads and one of two seems to have a bit too many "Flaws" so I've reached out to MAST to get an explanation and potentially a substitution. The other head is perfect.
2/ the shop that will assemble everything recommended to not use the TSP head bolts (one time bolts) but to get some ARP ones:
"the ARP bolts are a hardened bolt with a recommend torque spec so we can get equal torque on all the bolts". I don't have any experience with either but what they explained to me about the head bolts made sense. I plan to take their advice.
void_kp is offline   Reply With Quote