View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...we have reached the beginning of the uber $ platteu for special high performance. Blue collar is fast being removed from the affordability range, but that was pretold, and we knew it was coming.
I can't say how affordable, exactly, a 69 SS Camaro was new for the common guy, but that ZL1 option back then was that much again on top of the car. I don't see much difference today. We still have affordable, sort of*, models and then you can double the price and get a performance model.

I've often wondered not where the price stops but where there HP plateaus off. How high does it go before they say enough is enough. Last time this happened the gas crisis and government emissions regulations kicked in. What now?

*I put an this puppy up there to say that we still have affordable cars, sort of. Well, with the addition of extra safety equipment and amenities that cars didn't use to have, there isn't really a good cheap option anymore. I remember in the late 90's you could still get a brand new 4 banger S10 pickup for $8000 or so on sale. Not no more. Cars are safer, that's true, but that comes, literally, at a price.