View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #63
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
Since its the Alpha platform, the 4-pot will be the engine from GM's european brands Vauxhall and Opel (its used in the Astra GTC VXR).

Plus, its the engine slated for the ATS Coupé.

400Nm of Torque and 276bhp will really hurry the new Camaro along. It only takes 5.7s to do the 60mph sprint in the Astra, and that car weighs 1.5 tones (Camaro LS V6 is 1.7t) Since the ATS 4-door is 1.5t, the Camaro should theoretically weigh less. I'm hoping 5.5s.

I hope, though, that they decide to go with the engine out of the Astra VXR Extreme, which is a 300bhp unit. To me, it makes the v6 redundant and it'd turn the LS and LT trims from "pretty cool sports car" to "surprisingly very fast sports car."

This is what I'm thinking, since I want to import a Camaro and I don't know if I should wait for a Gen 6 or grab a Gen 5 in a firesale. With all the extra fees associated with importing, I'd save a fortune.

And now my unrelated thoughts on something else entirely.

Of course, if the Gen 6 comes in RHD then its a no brainer for me in the UK.
Ford making the 2015 Mustang in right hand drive has pretty much guaranteed them easy money, as the UK is one of the most important markets for sports cars.

GM would do very well to follow suit as Camaros are insanely desireable in the UK. Mustangs depreciate (surprising for such a sought after exotic import), but Camaros two/three years later, even the Automatic, still sell for £30,000 with 5-digit milages - they're £35,000 new. That's 85%! Convertibles still rake in 75%. GM wouldn't be able to screw the RHD models together fast enough.
um... the Astra is a FWD car on the delta platform (a small front engine FWD platform).

The Alpha platform is a small to medium sized front engine RWD platform, so it will not get a FWD 2.0T engine. Also the ATS launched with a 2.0T engine though no one knows what the output will look like for the turbo engine slated for the Camaro. Since the 2.0T Camaro will compete with the 3.7L V-6 Mustang which is rated at 300BHP I would find it safe to assume that it will have around that amount of power.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote