View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #651
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
I find it hard to believe you got a nearly 50% torque gain over stock with just minor bolt-ons and advanced timing. You must have upped the boost several psi as part of the tune.

I don't think a turbo-4 will get any better fuel economy than a NA V6 at all, not as long as you compare engines of similar power. You can't compare power vs efficiency between the ATS V6 and turbo-4. The V6 makes 50 more horsepower.

Shrink the V6 in displacement until it was down to 270hp, or grow/tune the turbo-4 up to 320hp, and I think their efficiencies would be identical. Only differences would be the cost, complexity, and long term expensive repair potential.
GM had a 3.0 L V6 that made the HP of the 2.0T in the Equinox/Terrain/CTS. None got significantly better FE than the 3.6 which is why it's gone.

But generally a smaller displacement turbo making equal HP will get better FE. Just look at the 1.4T in the Cruze or Sonic vs the base 1.8L NA. The Turbo is the FE choice. Both the 1.8 and 1.4T make the same HP.