View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #777
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by pv-camaro View Post
The Camaro don't need to become a small car or an ugly hatchback, it just needs to get a bit shorter and lighter,

i agree with, a muscle car like the Camaro needs a fast engine, but the new engines are getting better and better,

If you take the LS1 out of the 4th generation, compare it with the new 3.6V6, they have almost the same horsepower.

The 2.0L turbo engine of new Cadillac ATS gets 275 horsepower, in 2016 GM should get way over 300 horsepower out of it, so in my opinion it may be a good entry level engine, with a good fuel economy
And top of the line could still be a V8, or a turbo V6,

a 4 cilinder in a Camaro is not new, in 1982 till 1985 they had a 4 banger too, it may not the best engine, i don't know, i have never driven one.
You think GM is going to completely redo this brand new engine in only 2 years? Not saying they won't, but it would be very out of character to spend 100's of millions on an engine and then redo it 2 years later. To get way over 300 HP would be a pretty big tear up. That is a lot of HP from a 2 liter. That would be equal to nearly 1000 HP from the LS3 on a per liter basis. And we all know what it would take for GM to achieve that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
Appearing as #35 on the 50 worst cars of ALL TIME!
the Camaro Iron Duke--

"There was a time when 90 horsepower was a lot, and that time was 1932. Fifty years later, it was bupkis, especially under the hood of Chevy's beloved Mustang-fighter, the Camaro. As the base engine for the redesigned 1982 Camaro (and Pontiac Firebird), the 2.5-liter, four-cylinder "Iron Duke" was the smallest, least powerful, most un-Camaro-like engine that could be and, like the California Corvette, it was connected to a low-tech three-speed slushbox. So equipped, the Iron Duke Camaro had 0-60 mph acceleration of around 20 seconds, which left Camaro owners to drum their fingers while school buses rocketed past in a blur of yellow."
Have to keep in mind folks that in that same time frame the V8 made 145 HP and you could get the Cross Fire FI V8 with a whopping 165 HP. I had my moms 82 Trans Am on highway and it would only go 105. So we still called those muscle cars and pony cars. It's just what the times demanded and allowed from technology to meet emissions standards, etc. The new NA 2.5L in the Malibu and ATS makes 195 to put it in perspective.