View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #136
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
You are very wrong about weight killing the 5th gens. They are by far the best Camaros ever. Strong at the drags and at the track. I doubt the 6th gens will be 3,600 pounds. If so, nice, but even 3,600 pounds is still a heavy car.
If they base the car on the ATS 'Alpha' platform, < 3,600lbs should be doable, (and expected for the V6) since GM has already said they ATS weighs several hundred lbs less than its BMW competitor, which already weighs less than the current Camaro. Looks like anywhere from 3,400 to 3,600 range from the info I've seen thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If that target weight were so vitally important to the car & market segment, the Mustang would be outselling the Camaro. But last I checked, the Camaro's lead was increasing.
You are correct...but why keep the Camaro a boat anchor if you don't have to??? Just because Camaro is outselling Mustang or might look better (to most people), doesn't mean its OK to let the mustang pull further and further ahead in the performance segmentt. I've even read the next mustang could be even lighter than the current one....Camaro needs to lose weight and shrink (but not much!) in size. Alpha platform is perfect for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
As stated before, the new platform for the Camaro will be smaller than the current chasis. Dropping some weight is almost certain. We can also expect a direct injected V8, and there might be better info on this engine on the vette forums.
Bingo.