View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
the "overhang" is referring to whatever hangs outside the rectangle created by the wheelbase. So everything forward of the front wheels and back from the back wheels. if you look at some of the newer bmw's like the z4 for instance, there's not much hanging out forward or backward over the wheels. so it has a very small overhang. Imagine it this way if you glued all 4 wheels to the ground you have the same wheelbase. then you push the bumpers in closer to the wheels, that's probably what the gen6 will look like.
Couldn't have said it better myself ... so I'll provide pictures:

Consider the 1969 Dodge Charger:

Notice how the nose and tail extend quite a bit past the wheels? Now, compare that against the Z4 that wylde mentioned:

Granted, its a much smaller car overall. But there is clearly less in front and much less out back

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
pushing the wheels to the extreme corners of the body helps handling and weight distribution immensely. there is less "swinging" effect of an outside weight. If you can keep all the weight of the vehicle inside the wheelbase (preferably down the centerline) you automatically have a much easier time making the handling more predictable and sharper in alot of cases.
That is correct for a mid engined car. However, for a front engine car, having weight out past the rear axle counteracts the weight up front, resulting in a more balanced car (yet increases its polar moment). But that is a discussion for another time
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote