View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #208

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
We can—actually, I'm sure we will—bicker about this for weeks. Please remember that offering a high-performance version of a 4-cylinder engine with forced induction does not require you to purchase it. This would be an option granted to those who want the unique styling of a Camaro above all else.

Start thinking outside of the Camaro-Mustang-Challenger rivalry. GM is winning this rivalry now, but GM doesn't have a product to compete with some of our low-displacement import competition. An Alpha Camaro will weigh less and therefore be a perfect fit for that market with the right pricing and engine options. Camaros will still be available in the traditional V6 and V8 arrangements for the long haul in order to compete with our traditional domestic rivals and to bring enthusiasts what we expect of our favorite car. Of course, not everyone is an enthusiast. Some of these people are just customers wanting something different, and I know a lot of people that want a cool car but don't care how much power it has. A version with a 4-cylinder turbo makes sense for them.

I did notice that a lot of arguments against any 4-cylinder turbo are coming from the V8 crowd. You guys are the heart and soul of high-performance GM drivers, but you are not the market for any 4-banger. Keep that in mind. If you want a 6thgen, then you'll be able to buy one with a V8, as usual. Think of the 4-cylinder model as a stepping stone to convert some ricer kids into real American performance machines. It starts with hot styling, and then they join Camaro5, and ultimately they're so enamored with how awesome Camaro enthusiasts are that they want to show up to a future Camaro5Fest with the V8 they've dreamed of owning since getting their 4-cylinder turbo. It's just something to consider.
Thanks for the above post....and the chance to "pour some more gas" onto the fire, so to speak...lol..

Some of the things you mention, even though on the surface may sound benign, speak to the reasons an I-4 should not be in the Camaro line-up...

This I-4 will, as you state, changes the image of the Mustang-Challenger rivalry...The very reason the Gen5 was built , and the image it was marketed as, will morph into a rivalry with low-cost, low-powered imports with a Gen6 I-4...Enticing the "ricer-crowd" to purchase I-4 Camaros will no doubt happen, and believe me they will get "riced-out", is the exact opposite of why many of us purchased a Camaro in the first place...The Camaro should never be a model for "ricing-out"...and when they inevitalbly are, v-8 and v-6 owners will be shaking their heads and thinking wtf...This is the "same" car I have?

They cannot and should not be both..."ricer" and "muscle"....The image of the car will be an embarrassment and deal-breaker for many, if not all, loyal Camaro customers....Those who want a car with the image of the Mustang-Challenger rivalry will not be able to ignore it's new "ricer" image when considering the Gen6...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote