View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #51
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
I like that idea too, but I heard somewhere that you don't get as good of mileage with it. Doesn't have the same energy content as gasoline. so the cost would probably end up being a wash or mabye slightly more because you'd fill up more often. I can't prove that, and i've never driven an E85 vehicle. but that's just what I've heard.

But I've heard you can get more power out of it! and I like that!
That is true! The reason we havent converted to E85 yet is because it does in fact burn quicker than gas and in such gets worse mileage, so far E85 has been around 50 cents cheaper than gas but when compared mileage-wise gas would go farther on less money, the people behind E85 have been trying to refine the process of creating it to simplify it and make it cheaper so they can sell it cheaper and eventually the cost of MPG will balance out or hopefully surpass gasoline. Im not exactly sure on it but i think the lose in MPG is 2 to 3 miles per gallon by switching, but at $2 a gallon and gas slowely on the rise now (im not speculating cause last year everyone said gas was going back to $4 and i told them they were full of it haha) but if gas keeps rising and E85 stays at about $2 it should surpass gas soon

But i did learn however that the reason you use 3 or so more MPG on E85 is because you would be using it in a motor optimixed for gasoline, Jay Leno did an interview with a guy who built an E85 hot rod and said he built the motor optimized for E85 rather than gas and he gets the same mileage with both, though he makes a good bit more power on E85 cause of the higher octane, you can convert any car though easily but you will suffer a few MPGs, i wonder if GM has taken this into account and if the MPG loss will still be there on this motor if its optimized for both?

These are interesting times indeed haha
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote