View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #16
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
I can tell you a joyride story that would blow your mind.

I had taken my Z06 to a local dealer for an occasional engine light that would come on for a second and would go away. But there was no errors or codes being thrown. So, dealer was trying to see if it's loose wire or sensor going bad. And I was waiting in the room.

There was another guy there waiting before I got there, and he was getting restless for waiting too long, because his Corvette passenger side window had stopped coming down. Finally, the service guy came in that the problem is solved and the technician is going to take it for a test drive. We looked at each other, puzzled "test drive after fixing a switch or relay?". He said, Ok but let's make it quick.

His corvette had a Procharger and was making about 600RWD [as he told me]. That's a lot for a light car like corvette. You can loose it very quickly (I know, mine had close to 700). Anyway, 15-20 minutes passed and the service guy came back as if he had seen a ghost. I knew immediately, something is wrong and he can't say it. He said "The car had a technical problem and we have to send a flatbed to bring it back". We waited outside for another half an hour, then we saw from distance a tow truck with his lights on and we could see from distance a Red corvette on it. The owner, started running toward the truck as it was coming into dealer. I was just walking, and suddenly I saw him putting his hands on his head, as if he had sean a disaster.

The entire front and side of passenger side was destroyed. The technician had been arrested by police for his excessive speed that he lost control and ran into a side wall on the road.

As it turned out latter (I stayed in touch with the guy), his Insurance would not cover it, because the car was moded and the insurance was purchased for the power that manufacture had set, and because of the extra power, the car had gone out of control.
So, this guy's lawyer went after Dealer's insurance, and the insurance only paid the value of the car as of that day as if it was stock and not all the after market items, that were like $30,000 extra.

Lesson to be learned.
a) If technician is going to go for a test drive, go with them.
b) If you mod your car, notify your insurance company and all the additional money spent. Yes, your insure will go up, but it is covered.
c) stay stock if you can, because dealer's insurance only covers for the cost of the car at that moment for a stock car.

Wow.. Well if I was that owner I would still be in jail right now.. That's the kind of stuff nightmares are made out of! What's crazy is that the owners insurance refused to cover any of the accident or just wouldn't cover the additional value in the mods that he installed? If it's the latter and he didn't inform them about it... ya I could see it. Although the dealership was completely in the wrong and should have had to foot the entire bill. I would have gone after them for as much as I could with a really good lawyer, that's a pretty bad outcome. Not quite worst case, but not far from it either.

Reminds me of a story I read... on here I believe.. about a guy who owned a shelby and installed a remote start on his car (it was a manual so he did some safety bypass to allow it). Anyways he dropped the car off to get fixed and it was cold out and apparently the tech hit the remote start button and sure enough the car crow hopped a bunch then finally took off across the dealership and into a pond nearby. The outcome was very bad as his insurance wouldn't cover it since there were some safety bypass that he went around and the dealerships insurance wouldn't cover it since he didn't inform the tech that it was a manual... or something like that I might have forgot a few details anywho... that's a bad bad situation.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote