View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
Shesabeast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
But who, anywhere, has said to themselves if they had a choice to buy a Camaro SS or a Cobalt SS "Man, I want me some Cobalt SS"? I want names. The more likely reason is that's because GM can offer a more reasonably-priced car that fits within smaller budgets yet still offers a thrill when you drive it. And if you don't keep cars long, you also should probably keep an eye on resale values in the future. Not sure what the Cobalt is compared to Camaro percentage-wise, but some people look at that as well.

And that's exactly why the gas-hog reasoning is (gas-hog)-wash. Most people want V8s because that's what they're USED to buying. Gas hog has nothing to do with it. CAFE has nearly everything to do with it. You don't buy a car such as a ZL1 because you give a crap what the gas mileage is. You buy it for performance. True today as it was then, there's no replacement for displacement, all other things being equal. But today they're not equal with the power-adders from the factory. Turbo a 6 to do the same or little better than an na V8? Why not offer a TT V8 as well at the same time and make everyone happy? Now THAT would be something.

Nothing wrong with a V6 or an I4 even. I have absolutely no issue about it if that's what people choose for their cars. And though V6 and I4 may be nice, you can keep them for your own Camaro if that flips up your skirt. If the best Camaro has to offer is V6, I'll just keep driving my old, less-powerful V8. Because I can and I want to, that's why.

Sorry...as a traditionalist, make mine a V8.
He did say that it was going to be marketed to the younger generation. With gov regulations, oil prices, ect. ect. GM is already looking into the future as to make a performance car that will be more fuel effiecient. Hence 8 speed transmissions. You can stay in the rpm range for hp if you need it, and cruise at lower rpm when needed. No doubt, there nothing like the sound and raw power of a V8, but in the future, it's just not going to be realistic. I think the market and regulations will demand it.

Im pretty sure there are PLENTY of people who say, "Man, I want a Cobalt SS." (How do you think Vette owners see us?) Mostly the younger generation that are looking for a cheap, fast car. They are probally thinking, my V6 is almost as capable as your 6.2l v8 ls3. As a Camaro SS driver myself, i bought mine for the v8 ls3, so im with you on the traditionalist view on it.

Reality is, gas is just going to keep going up and up. Manufactures have to find a balance between performance and fuel consumption.

People do buy ZL1 for performance, but if performance is what you want, get a ZR1. People get a ZL1 because its a cheaper than the "real thing", but just a capable. Same goes for Cobal SS owners.