View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #53
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Take a look at the NEW and IMPROVED CAFE standards brought to you by our leaders in Washington. You will notice that each car has it's own specific FE requirements based on the "footprint" size of the car. The Camaro needs to gain 6 mpg AVERAGE in the next few years. No loner can the low volume Camaro be covered by the higher volume cars.
Good point - I took a look in more detail at the 2011 changes. There is still averaging from what I see in the 2011 changes - its just now based on footprint derived mpg per model instead of the actual mpg of the car. Correct?

A high mpg vehicle can still offset a lower one, but the affect is diminished. That is, small cars with really high mpg's don't factor in directly, only the mpg for their footprint. So the 50 mpg hybrid may only provide a 36 mpg contribution to the average calculation.

That takes care of the fleet mpg and fine at the fleet level.

The second component will the impact of the footprint in terms of a gas guzzler tax. It may be difficult for GM to hurdle this one with the Gen6. Customers may have to pay the gas guzzler tax or an imputed fine incurred by GM. Fine by me as long as the car is worth it.

Although the MPG requirements per footprint go up in 2016, there seems room for a V-8 Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger. We just might be paying a higher price for them than we do now. Eventually that may price them out of the market for good as Oppenheiser said. Personally I wouldn't mind having a Tesla and a Camaro to balance my own family average fuel economy .
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote