View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #54
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
There's enough vertical surface for these pads to stay stuck where you place them? Something like this makes me think as soon as it gets hot, the pads will slide out of place.
I had them in place for close to 10 years in my Saab 93. Once they are in place, there is always slight pressure against the adjacent switch or plastic divider, depending on how the switch unit is designed. I always had to shave them thinner to get the resistance right. Never had them slide out of position.
The ones I used I got at either ACE or Home Depot.
Felt Gard (by shephard) 75 count 3/8" (10 mm) self-adhesive felt circles medium duty. Item # 007528/9949. Look dark brown to me. You need a sharp single edge razor to shave them. I did that while still on the adhesive backing. Sometimes I would cut the disc in half. You just need something big enough to fill the thin space and not stick out. Just one pad or half pad per side.
This is the tool I always used to move them into position, something leftover from my model building days:
https://www.micromark.com/Mini-Putty-Knife
You could probably make a good-enough tool from an old credit card or plastic coffee can lid. Need something thin enough to get it in there and move it into position, but rigid enough to stick it in place. Guitar pick would work too.
Much easier than taking door panels off and getting to switch units that way. You will end up finding more places to slide them in, like the hinge areas on sunglasses holders
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote