View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #46
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
It looks too much like a Corvette, its too small to be a Camaro, and the body lines and design make it look like something from the 80's, too old. Its a complete step back from the current Camaro's jump. What made this generation (5th) so successful is it looks futuristic.
The Camaro is just a Corvette that is much more liveable on a daily basis. Its got 4 seats, rides more comfortably, and is safer. Its always been higher off the ground so it can clear pretty much any road situation with ease. Look at the main complaints about the 5th gen. Its always been the visibility and the trunk space, both aspects that reduce its ease as a daily driver.
Car design is moving more towards this:

Not this:

If you handed your render to someone and told them to place it with one of the two images I posted there based off which it looks closer to in design they'll put it on the Fiero.

We all know GM has influence on this site, look at the concept that got front paged recently:

It wasn't a coincidence they front paged that, they are performing market research for free lol. Look at the new Transformers 4 Camaro too. Although its obviously a modified Gen 5 they are giving us a rough sketch of the 6th Gen. It will look similar to that front paged concept and the T4 car. Just basically take the T4 car and shrink it down. I feel like this is all in plain site or am I going crazy?

I don't think you should give up though. A "mini" Corvette/Camaro definitely would have a market based off sales of that BRZ thing Subaru made.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/20/s...-selling-cars/

Take your design and "futurise" it. The tail lights and head lights need a serious revamp, I'd start there. Take cues from all new major brands. Nowadays you need some kind of halo/led strip, something. You also need some kind of led runner on the bottom of the bumper and probably an exaggerated and aggressive grille. Cars nowadays are all moving towards more tough looking urban street fighter cars. Then take the roof line down as it would be a 2 seater.

It sucks when people don't like something you took a lot of time to make but you have to be ready for that possibility. As long as you like it you should be happy. If other people get you upset then you weren't really making it for you. I spent months building a custom bumper for my car and there were/are a LOT of people who hated it but at the end of the day I love it and that is what matters.
Too small to be a Camaro? Do you realize what the CAFE requirements are going to be doing to car design in the very near future? I don't actually like that design/render that was posted on the front page of the site. I wouldn't buy a car that looked like that. But that's just my opinion and I don't bash/trash the guy who created it just because it's not what I want to see. I encouraged him to keep going and keep developing ideas.

I'm not upset if people don't like what I'm doing; what upsets me is when they don't read the thread and make useless posts as a result. I've clearly stated what I would like people to do if they don't like what they see and you've done it. Say why; give constructive feedback as to what you'd like to see changed.

I'm quite aware of current "trends" and I've been deliberately staying away from most of them. I'm not designing a narcissist-mobile. Considering what some of these "old designs" go for in auctions nowadays I don't see being influenced by past designs as a bad thing. The 5th gen is so successful because they absolutely nailed the essence of the look and feel of a late 1960's Camaro.

I'm experimenting. These concepts literally start with a single dot in the middle of empty space. From there I add more dots and start creating shapes. I'm better at this than drawing on paper. As I gain experience with the software I'm getting faster and faster at it too.

I'll keep on experimenting. Right now I'm working on different ideas for fronts.

Here's one I did that's basically a reborn Firebird TransAm, but I'm not going to use.

Name:  2020 Concept Firebird front.jpg
Views: 6134
Size:  93.2 KB

Here's another one that's close to what I'm currently working on, but again I'm not going to use it.

Name:  2020 Camaro Concept front alt3.jpg
Views: 26329
Size:  78.1 KB

With all these experiments I'm doing things that I personally would like; not necessarily trendy or what everyone else might like. Along the way there have been some great suggestions by people contributing in these threads which I've incorporated.

There WILL BE some similarities to things in the past because that's where I grew up ( ) and also, I like some of the cars of the past. Should a songwriter stop writing because somebody already used that chord once? Should a painter not paint because somebody already used that color once? There's bound to be similarities because we still have 4 wheels, engine up front, windshield, side windows, rear window, a roof, outside mirrors, lights in the front, rear and sides, and a boat load of regulations that have to be complied with. Those are all things from the "past" and they haven't gone away. Designers have to work with all those elements today just like they did in the past, so it's not surprising there might be some similarities in designs.

I like sleek, elegant, classy, beautiful and timeless. It seems most of the muscle car crowd doesn't... they want to drive HULK SMASH. I'll keep experimenting and posting the ones I think are worth looking at. If you guys keep posting suggestions and ideas for changes, perhaps together we can come up with something that might actually help the Camaro design team with some useful ideas.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote