View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #174
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosc35 View Post
The car will weigh 400-600 pounds lighter but the wheelbase will be shorter. It would take retooling to add to the wheelbase as this will be the Alpha chassis but this is disappointing. The weight reduction should have been complemented with a wider wheelbase. I can't notice anything outside what has already been mentioned but the January unveiling will end all our speculation. I currently own a very modified 1989 Camaro which is both relatively light and has a wide wheelbase which provides, to me, no compromise and the ultimate driving experience.
That will only happen if you compare a 4 cylinder turbo to the current SS with a V8 and you are the first I think to even suggest 600 pounds. That would mean an SS at 3,300 pounds. That isn't going to happen.

First of all you are suggesting that a V8 Camaro can weigh LESS than a C7 Corvette. And the C7 Corvette as we know has an aluminum frame and a good amount of carbon fiber and is a much smaller car that seats only 2.

All anyone has to do is take the weight of the ATS coupe with a V6 and then add the mass difference to get from a V6 Camaro to a V8 Camaro.

I hope everyone remembers that the HP and torque difference from the 270 HP 4 cylinder/330 HP 6 cylinder to the V8 drives much heavier driveline parts. A heavier engine, a heavier transmission and a heavier rear axle.

Now add on the weight of bigger wheels and bigger brakes.

Add all of that stuff and you are around 200 plus pounds, which I think is supported by the weight difference between a 1LT and a 1SS.

So whatever you think a base Camaro weighs, you need to add 250 to 300 pounds to get to an SS.

Now will it be nice if the base coupe weighs in around 3,400 pounds or even less? You bet. It will improve the drivability and FE of the car and thus make, as I've been suggesting all along, a GREAT coupe that can compete with the crappy little FWD coupes from other OEMs.

BUT, the car we mostly care about, the car that will have to win all the magazine comparos isn't a base coupe, it will be the SS and 1LE. And those will likely be closer to 3,650 to 3,700 pounds.

And that will be a simply awesome car.