View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #74
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
100% speculation, but I doubt that GM would come out with a new generation that doesn't outperform the previous generation. Look at the 'Vette... C6 400hp base, C7 450hp base. Even if they kept the HP the same, like you said because it's a lighter platform it'd probably still outperform.

That said though, I haven't seen anything speculation on the ZL-1, COPO, or Z/28 -- I can see why the COPO and ZL-1 might not be back for the 6th gen Camaro but I would definitely hope the Z/28 comes back. At this point it's anyone's guess.
Right as for the Z/28? They'll def have one. But it wont be anything near this one. Remember, these cars are modern muscle and since history repeats itself, you honestly think performance will stay on a steady increase? Lets look back at where these modern muscle cars came from. 1967-69, most notibly 1969. After 1972, the high perfomance started to drop. In '72 you had the LS-3 "396" as the big perfomer. 1973 "SS" was dropped to "LT" and largest engine was a 350 with 243HP max. This is where performance is headed. May not be this drastic since theyre including DI plus Turbos, Twin Turbos/SuperChargers on them to obtain fuel economy and have the HP behind them. But dont expect a plethora of naturally aspirated engines with too high of HP in the next gen as compared to these 5th gens. They do have one engine to get there and thats the LT1 which will have equal or greater HP than the current SS. After this, I dont see it increasing but actually decreasing in displacement and running FI to stay near the HP numbers if they decide they want to stay near it. The 6th gen will probably outperform the 5th because of reduction in weight and the LT1. After this engine, displacement will drop and so will HP.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote