View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #208
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Honestly I don't believe it has anything to do with demographics or wage costs. Traditionally GM has always tried to build vehicles on the same platform in the same assembly plant. It just makes sense. For the longest time Oshawa has been an odd assortment of completely random cars, Zeta Camaros, EpII SWB Regals, Premium Epsilon Impala/XTS, Theta-II Equinox final assembly, hell there's still W-body Impala Limited production.

And again, LGR is the same plant that churns out ATS and CTS. Arguably two of the best-executed GM vehicles in decades (and yes, much better than Camaro). The level of quality there isn't an issue.

Canada isn't the end-all solution for Camaro production.
FH65, I certainly hope you are right because it would be good for all of us. But, I never said that Canada was an end-all solution and great cars are produced all over the world so location has little to do with it other than production and supply synergies.

After a quick Google it appears that what I was asking is already being discussed and as I thought it does not make for happy people.

Quote from GM, as discussed on pg7;
"Second-tier workers hired in Lansing, Mich., to build the next generation of the Cama-ro will start at US$15.78 per hour and top out at US$19.28 in four years, compared to the $34.33 autoworkers on the line make in Oshawa, Faria noted. The situation is the same in Spring Hill, Tenn., where overflow of the Chevrolet Equinox is being built compared to the Oshawa and CAMI plants in Canada."

As discussed by the UAW;

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...t/#more-682730

This was the most recent I could find but IF this article is true than the wage discrepancy is already an issue with the workers. We all know what happens next if GM and the UAW can't come to an agreement.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote