View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #158
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
In an effort to shed a little more light on this news, Camaro team put me in contact with Bill Grotz, who is the Communications Manager for Manufacturing and Labor, to answer a few short questions on the matter.

Quote:
Q: What factors led to this decision being made to move Camaro production?

A: Choosing to move 6th generation Camaro production to the Lansing facility was based on a comprehensive business case. That boils down to lower capital investment (like facilities, tooling, equipment), and improved production efficiency. Obviously, the Camaro is the only RWD car at Oshawa. By moving production to Lasing Grand River, it allows us to consolidate three RWD programs in one factory: the Cadillac ATS, CTS, and Chevy Camaro.

[I also brought up “right-to-work” because some people on the forum have brought it up. Bill was very clear that this policy change had absolutely nothing to do with this decision, and offered no further comment on the matter.]

Q: Why the sudden announcement? Did anything prompt it?

A: Timing was right for our business to make this announcement.

Q: What can you tell those of us who’d like to become more familiar with the Lansing Grand River factory?

A: You can visit our facility directory on the GM website. Lansing Grand River has its own webpage that has lots of information you might be interested in!

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/c...embly/lgr.html

[Among other things you can read on that page, Lansing is one of GM’s newest plants in North America, and has won the J.D. Power and Associates Bronze Plant Award for initial quality]
A big thanks to Bill for taking the time to speak with me!