View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #56
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...Good stuff....Yeah, I've never driven a car with AFM....(Doesn't seem to be very popular on these forums with the Camaros)....perhaps its not really a "performance" killer in the big scheme of things...

...But...my gosh...when I shopped for my '11, the L99s with AFM were rated at "1" mpg hwy mileage greater than the manual trans cars..."ONE!"...I could see AFM being the greatest thing since a pocket in a shirt if the mileage gains were vastly greater than those without AFM...

Just seems like a ton of technology and what-not for very little gain in mpg...on top of what is perceived as driving a "performance" car on four cylinders...dunno...
I know back in the day, manual trans cars would get better mileage with the same motor. So maybe an Automatic LS3 would get 2-3 mpg less then a manual LS3 so the increase of 1 mpg over the ls3 manual may be 3-4mpg ls3 auto vs l99 auto... Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Might be getting close to what you mention, if it's true about the 2014 Stingray having that option...No idea how it's actually done, or what mileage gains there would be, but sounds like a good idea...
Now I understood the LT1 dod/afm on/off was turning on/off the ability for it to go into 4 cylinder mode.

example:
dod off (always V8)
dod on (just like L99 cars, the ability to go into 4 cylinder mode)
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote