View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #25
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
It's been published repeatedly that the next model Camaro will probably release as a 2016 model based on the Alpha platform. This will be right behind the Mustang re-design, and around the same time the SRT Barracuda replaces the Challenger. If you take a look at the concept designs of the Mustang and Barracuda, you may get some clues as to where the style of the 6th gen Camaro will end up. Stick your 5th gen in the oven until the edges melt down a bit, and it sheds about 400lbs. The only thing that stops the Camaro from becoming really low and sleak is the Corvette.

A troubling note;
An article in Car & Driver this month about the Barracuda stated it may be offed with a 4-cylinder (possibly forced induction) since the Mustang and Camaro will offer that option in the next round...

...but the V-8's will stay. (if you can believe Car & Driver)
Good response above. I love to stay on top of new model releases, as well as follow the Cadillac ATS which is based on the Alpha platform that the next Camaro should be on. From that, I gather it will be a 2015 or 2016 model year, with availability in late 2014 or 2015.

We shouldn't expect anything too significant besides hearsay for at least another year or longer I'd say. I think waiting much past that could be problematic for GM assuming the next gen Mustang is successful. Both the next gen Mustang and Camaro should be slightly smaller and light...assume at least 250 to 300 lbs for the Camaro. It should definitely surpass the 5th gen in terms of a "drivers car"...we just have to hope they nail the styling.