View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #205
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...and there lies the rub... That was the downfall of the Gen 4 Camaro, and it's demise to extinction. And equally I ask..could history repeat itself once again?
I wouldn't compare a Camaro or any Chevrolet from back then to what we have today. GM has engineered masterpieces worthy of all their names—SS, 1LE, ZL1, and of course Z/28. Do you really expect them to make the same masterpieces and then design a garbage heap with a 4-banger? You'd be both wrong and disappointingly ignorant to think that GM hasn't really thought out this possible outcome.

V8 guys, over here—why do you care? You guys are constantly posting threads about how real enthusiasts don't drive anything with less cylinders.

Everyone else, read this—what else are you going to drive? If you want an affordable performance car, you're settling already. You can't have Ferrari power and styling on a Malibu budget. Welcome to Camaro. This is where you buy a really nice car with a 300-horsepower V6 or possibly force-fed 4-cylinder that gives you satisfactory torque and beats competitors. Would you rather drive a 370Z? How does a Hyundai Genesis sound? No, if it were me looking at a new $25k performance car, it would be a Camaro, and if the Alpha platform, which is made for a 4-cylinder, delivers a lightweight performer with the Camaro name, I'll take it.

But the last time, it sucked—yes, it did. It isn't the '80s anymore. We've had advances since then, like fuel injection and heated seats. Stop pretending a fast 4-cylinder is the end of the world. If anything, this assures the future of the Camaro in a world hostile to V8s. Imagine if we could get 500 hp out of a turbo V6 and 400 hp out of a turbo I4. That day is coming very soon, and the technology may already be here. Nissan just announced a 3-cylinder—yes, a freaking 3-cylinder—with 400 ponies that's light enough to carry. Perhaps we should embrace GM's pioneering mentality with open arms and allow them to expand the Camaro name.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote