View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #41
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Ah, that tired old argument. Thought you said you understood the difference between turbo lag and torque managment when I explained it before, but...
Lag, torque management....regardless, the result is the same. Both the 3.5L Ecoboost vehicles I drove felt lazy to me at low RPMs (if driven straight 6 Jeeps that felt like they had more low-end than the EcoBoosts). If the EcoBoost has to be "managed" that much, it makes me question just how durable it really is.

Quote:
... you keep stating opinons like this and I realize you really learn nothing. The large number of turbo cars/truck on the road today with 100s of thousands of miles on them be damned, huh?
If the automakers really are so confident that their turbos are foolproof and will never cause a massive expense down the road for any of their buyers, they should offer a lifetime warranty on the turbo components. Until I get it in writing that I will not be stuck with a several thousand dollar turbo job if I keep the car (AND when they offer the TTV6 for the same money as a current V8) will I be willing to accept it.

Quote:
Actually, I fully get the idea. That's why I thought his comment was so stupid. Go back to his first post and my comment. I simply pointed it looked like he contridicted himself and for some reason he got his feeling hurt. As many do, the have to bring out the old "but mine sounds better" argument. It's a matter of personal preference. I think if you buy a car for the V8 sound then why buy a Camaro? The Coyote engine sounds way better. If you are a GM boy then get the Z06. Sound like what you are saying? Does it have anything to do with him contraticting himself?
You suggested that sound doesn't matter, and that's the part I was responding to. I was merely pointing out that for many of us (not all, but many), it does matter. If it didn't, GM and Ford wouldn't spend time and man hours tuning their exhaust notes, and the aftermarket for exhaust systems wouldn't be so huge.

And you are right that it is a personal preference, and not just for sound, but in terms of power delivery and torque curve characteristics as well. And right now, I think more SS and GT buyers (and throw in R/T buyers for completeness) would prefer a V8 to a TTV6. And I think more would refuse to buy over not being able to buy a V8 than would buy because they could get a TTV6.

I've also said this before, but I have no problem with offering a TTV6 as long as I can still get a V8, AND as long as they don't raise the price of my V8 to market it. That's why I don't really care about the EcoBoost F-150. (I wouldn't buy it, but I'm not calling for Ford to drop the option, either). The V8 is still offered at the same price point, and those who want the EcoBoost can pay the extra $900 for it. It doesn't affect me.

The reason I oppose the possibility of a TTV6 Camaro (or Mustang for that matter) is I fear they won't go about it that same way. All the talk and speculation and specs on known TTV6s suggest it would be under the V8 in the hierarchy, which in my mind is a red flag that not only will the TTV6 be more expensive to buy than the current V8, but any V8 option will end up being priced even about that.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote