View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 01:53 AM   #68
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Ehh... the problem I have with that is you're going for modification to get the car to perform near contemporary standards. Once you have to start changing stuff, the comparison becomes moot. You could take that same 2-3k and dump it into a modern car and gain even more of an edge. This is why I hate the goofy comparisons you see like "Watch a Miata keep up with a Porsche 911 on the 'Ring!" Yeah, not without a lot of help. While I love the muscle car era, the performance standards set there have been eclipsed many times over. It's a very rose-colored glasses kind of thing.

Anyway... back to Bob Lutz. He's correct about the cars looking similar. The '14-15 cars specifically. I like the design regardless but I would have preferred something completely new, though the fact that it wasn't didn't keep me away from buying one.

I don't know what he's talking about with the Mustang. The Mustang looks like ass. The refreshed bumper looks like an even worse ass. When the current model debuted I would have bet money it was a cheaped-up Aston Martin. I can appreciate trying to develop a global appeal but that thing lost its heritage. If you want to jump behind the wheel of a pseudo British supercar, go for it. Not my cup of tea, Bob.

Challenger, really don't need much. It's dated, but I bet they'll still just keep stuffing bigger nonsense between it's fenders and rolling ol' grandpa back onto the stage for awhile with some new buzzword behind it.
I don't know about that. The S550 is the best looking Mustang since the '69-'70 models, in my opinion. Except for the rear side windows, the design follows the natural progression of the Mustang design heritage.

The interior, even more so. When you sit in one, the dash, interior and even the hoodline evokes memories of past classic Mustangs. Unfortunately, the same can not be said about the 6th gen. The interior and the weird looking Atari pod dash look nothing like past Camaro models. The hoodline is even different, losing that classic beautiful cowl hood of the retro based 5th gen design. The 6th gen designers instead went for a smooth rounded look with "nostril" type hood scoops. Definitely no Camaro based heritage there.

When it comes to the rear quarter side windows on the 6th gen, images of the fastback '71-'73 Mustangs come to mind. They are very different than the 5th gen and do not follow any classic heritage of past Camaros. I would have liked to have seen a return to the one piece side windows of the 2nd gen, but GM played it safe and went to a reconfigured 5th gen style.

While the S550 Mustang tried to become more upscale looking, like a premium European brand, the Camaro got stuck with a heavy emphasis on the 5th gen but with more angular and pinched in design elements.

For me, the natural progression for the 6th gen would have been to follow retro design elements of the 2nd gen F-body. This would have given it one piece side windows, a longer hood even shorter rear deck proportion, eliptical wheel well openings and a new modern interpretation of the old "RS" style front end. The original 2nd gen aspired to the classic Ferrari models of the early to mid '60's. So, a retro based styling exercise based on that for the 6th gen would have been another design "masterpiece" for GM. And, it would have carried Camaro sales even higher than what the current 6th gen has been able to achieve, in my opinion.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote