View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #57
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Do you know anything about the decision making process that led to the rear seat bulkhead being placed too far forward on the Alpha platform?

I read something about it, early on when the 6th gen first came out, but nothing since. I guess it had something to do with the fuel tank placement for rear crash protection. This caused rear seat legroom to become severely compromised over that of the Zeta based Camaro

I know Alpha is smaller, but we're only talking 1-2 inches here and 1-2 inches there. The real improvement in structure and lower curb weight came with using stiffer materials like cast aluminum for the strut tower housings, extruded alloy for the front engine cradle, aluminum dash core support and major suspension components made from aluminum/composite instead of steel.

I'm still not happy with the fuel door opening located right behind the passenger door, but I wonder what the stylists and designers thought of that location?
Probably did it for handling to get close to that 50/50 balance to allow for those good track times along with maintaining a balance outward appearance.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote