View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #16
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6, 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I can't say how affordable, exactly, a 69 SS Camaro was new for the common guy, but that ZL1 option back then was that much again on top of the car. I don't see much difference today. We still have affordable, sort of*, models and then you can double the price and get a performance model.

I've often wondered not where the price stops but where there HP plateaus off. How high does it go before they say enough is enough. Last time this happened the gas crisis and government emissions regulations kicked in. What now?

*I put an this puppy up there to say that we still have affordable cars, sort of. Well, with the addition of extra safety equipment and amenities that cars didn't use to have, there isn't really a good cheap option anymore. I remember in the late 90's you could still get a brand new 4 banger S10 pickup for $8000 or so on sale. Not no more. Cars are safer, that's true, but that comes, literally, at a price.
Yes, but the horsepower race of that era was a totally different animal of its own. Today, we have variable valve timing, advanced ECU units and other fuel saving technologies. A 3 second 0-60 C7 Corvette CAN get at par MPG with my V6. Just sayin'