View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Also keep in mind that MRC isn't specifically a magical piece of equipment that can turn the handling of an ordinary car into something spectacular. Its main function is to reduce compromise. Instead of having to choose a stiff shock for handling vs a soft one for comfort, you can get one that is very good at both.

What MRC does beyond regular adjustable shocks is that it can adapt on the fly, which is great, but at the same time it requires careful tuning and integration into the vehicle. Not saying they couldn't do that for the V6 & T4 -they absolutely could if they wanted to. But it comes back to a question of demand. How many cars could they sell with it at what price? If it doesn't generate revenue to pay for its R&D cost, it's not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
It would be cool. I am all for options for all models so it can get the cost down. With that said they didn't even give the fifth gen v6 with 20s a brake upgrade option from factory...
What makes you think that individual options bring prices down? If that were true, automakers would make everything infinitely customization (to lower costs) and increase their overall sales (because products are more desirable and more affordable).

The cheapest way to build something is to do it only 1 way. That minimizes tooling cost, simplifies the design, increases bargaining power when ordering parts from a supplier, and makes the build process as simple as it could possibly be. As you increase the number of possible combinations it takes more time, money, and effort to design, test, and build it. So while relative to a package, offering something as a standalone may be cheaper -but by offering it as a standalone option you have raised the cost of the base car, the option, and the option package.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote