View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #469
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Rather - the engine.....a proposed base-model engine, no-less....I can't help but roll my eyes a little at the fear and trepidation over the mere proposal of a 4 cylinder base engine. One that, when the weight of the future car is considered (guessing 3300 from ATS)...will perform just as well, if not better, than our current V6 model. Furthermore...its a model that so few of us would end up buying, anyways - it would serve the general public.
The fear isn't in the offering of a turbo-4 as base engine in addition to the V6, it is that it will be the only non SS, or ZL1 engine, with the V6 option going away entirely. Strictly on paper numbers aren't everything, particularly in this segment of cars. Many of us prefer the characteristics of N/A engines over turbo engines, and the sound of the 6 cylinder engine to that of the 4.

Furthermore, you'll never convince me that a turbo 4 will be anything more than roughly equally efficient as a V6, but for more money with an extra possible failure mode down the road. And if they offer both turbo 4 and V6, you'll never convince me that they won't raise the price of the V6 to make room for a more expensive turbo 4 beneath it.

PS...thanks for getting us back on topic...this was falling apart into a "complain about logistics of forum" thread for a while there.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote