View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
In a straight line, 5th gens are plenty fast for factory cars, so if the 6th gens were equally as fast, it would be acceptable. Given the weight saving promise of the ATS platform, and what we are starting to find out about the next gen engines, the 6th gen will almost certainly have a better power to weight ratio, so it will probably be even faster...the only question will be by how much.

What I'd really want to see in the 6th gen is improved dynamics....I'd want lighter weight, more agility, better balance, and better steering feel/feedback. These, not power, are the 5th gen weak points. The good news is the ATS has proven to have all of these characteristics, so they should translate over to the next Camaro as well.

As far as specific numbers go, I'm sure there will be plenty of data on 0-60, quarter mile, certain track lap times, etc....However, what I'm really looking for in a car is the stuff that can't be measured with stopwatches and computers. I'm more interested in how it feels while driving at 7/10ths or even 9/10ths on the narrow, rural backroads through the hills where I live. I don't care about Nurburgring times, because I'm never gonna drive my car competitively around a high speed road course.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote