View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #290
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
That's a really bogus comparison. The 82 V8 was a complete POS because the EPA and NHTSA came along with all their CAFE and "smog" standards 10 years earlier, and it took the car companies another 10 years to get back to where they were when it all started.

If you think we shoud all go back to driving cars for the with power like that of cars 20 years ago (taking 20 years to get back to current power), then CAFE is your ticket.

I think many of the people here must have been born in the mid-late 80's and came of driving age in the late 90's or early 2000's, and completly missed the dreck we had in the mid 70's and 80's. They have NO CLUE how bad CAFE was for performance, so they don't know enough to oppose it.
Was only pointing out to those that are implying the Camaro is and has been so awesome that you couldn't have a 4 cylinder engine in it. It has had a 4 cylinder and it has been a crappy performing car.

Allllllll I was saying is that if you put the 2.5L in the car it would likely perform better than the 82 POS powered Camaro.

Anything else you are pulling from my post is you jumping to an incorrect conclusion.

But lets just ask, since you seam to want this to be about government intervention in our lives and not just "why would anyone want a 4 cylinder in a Camaro".

At what point should the government not regulate our transportation? Should you be required to have lights to drive more safely and so others can see you? (FMVSS regulation) Should you have mirrors in order to safely opperate your vehicle and not damage others? (FMVSS regulation) Should you have brakes to safely stop and an acclerator that doesn't stick? (FMVSS regulations). Should you have the confidence that the Chinese should be able come here and sell whatever hooptie mobile they want with disregard to basic automotive safety? Or should it just be a blanking free for all and you can drive whatever the hell you want because it's a free market? How about loads on big trucks? Should they be required to meet certain safety regulations so you can be safe? (Gov. Regs). Should there be a speed limit?

Where is that line?

And don't jump to conclusions on my post, just comment on if truly believe it should be a wild west free for all on the roads.