View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #224
CarGarage

Drives: 2SS/RS,Wrangler,CTSVcoupe,viper,etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnin' Rubber View Post
This is what I was thinking to keep the costs down. Although the Chevrolet SS sedan follows that formula with few options but it is still quite costly.

I'm not an automotive engineer, but if you take a vehicle with a given amount of mass and decide to put in smaller and smaller engines, it stands to reason those smaller engines have to work harder to get that mass moving.

What is the benefit in utilizing a 4-cylinder engine that has to rev twice as frequently as an 8-cylinder engine? I am sure there are multiple variables to consider such as rotational mass, but four pistons pumping twice as often as eight pistons will pretty much even out in terms of fuel consumption in my estimation.

Engines should not be made to work that hard. Focus on making powertrains more fuel efficient without removing cylinders. Smaller displacement and forced induction adds complexity and stress on your powertrain which is not ideal for longevity.

The recipe for a Camaro or any muscle car should be affordable V8 RWD power as a starting point for your design. Begin with V8 and RWD under $30k as your goal. Every other option that adds cost does not matter. Ordering two extra cylinders and a rear-wheel driveshaft should not increase the cost of a vehicle by 50% to 100% of the base price as it does now.
This is why a turbo was invented.

Illustration.
Audi s4 vs boosted a4
The boosted a4 makes the same power and more torque.
But it's lighter.
For a similar example.
911 vs 911t
Both 6s... Can you guess which is faster.

Turbo charging to stoic. Ratios allow equal power with less displacement
Without getting into too much detail....
Put the air fuel under pressure and it maximizes the space inside the cyl.

Search is your friend.
CarGarage is offline   Reply With Quote